Saturday, April 10, 2010

When in doubt...

Part of my new job is to go to community colleges and give classroom presentations. Sounds great, right? I don't have to be in an office all day and I get to meet people...well there is one slight problem. I tend to get a little nervous when I speak in front of groups...and sometimes my words run together...A LOT!!!! So yesterday as I stood in front of a group of freshman students telling them about the process of transferring; it dawned on me...they had no idea that I was nervous...and that I'm not as awful as I think I am (must have been those killer black booties that I was rocking with my fabulous pencil skirt and fierce fishnets that gave me confidence). Seriously, I think a lot of times we don't give ourselves enough credit. It is always easy to doubt ourselves and think negative thoughts. Ladies I am going to let you in on a secret...people aren't mind readers. What? You didn't know that? Seriously...they don't know when we feel like we are about to faint from being nervous. They can't hear us when we are thinking how stupid we look. They don't know when we make a mistake...UNLESS YOU TELL THEM!!!!! So my little lesson in this rant: stop with the self doubt. When you walk in a room DO NOT walk in with your head down. Look around, meet each gaze with a smile, and work the room!!! Until next time...

~Miss Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment